If you wonder how to keep your lawn more green, clean, and fresh-looking, a walk-behind string trimmer can be your secret tool. It works much better than a regular heavy-duty lawnmower. A walk-behind string trimmer looks like an even combination of a string trimmer and a lawnmower.
The basic difference in outlook is that a walk-behind trimmer has only back wheels, no front wheels. Without using this, you cannot understand what an amazing tool this is and why this is so useful; you can use it on rugged terrain and cut the most stubborn and thickest weeds, grass, and brush in your lawn promptly is not possible with a mower. This is so powerful that it can take on vegetation which is not possible with a standard string trimmer.
Day by day, the walk-behind trimmer is becoming more popular because of its multiple uses and efficiency. It is available in the market in various categories with a wide range of prices. So it is important and difficult as well to select the suitable one. I have shared 10 best walk-behind string trimmer reviews to help you choose the one you need.
10 Best Walk behind String Trimmer Reviews
1. EARTHQUAKE 28463 M205 Trimmer with 150cc 4-Cycle Viper Engine Walk Behind String Mower
Another powerful walk-behind string trimmer is Earthquake 28463 M205, powered by a 150cc 4 cycle Viper engine. Earthquake is manufactured, which is undoubtedly one of the best designers and manufacturers of seasonal outdoor power equipment for the residential and rural markets. This trimmer cuts through heavy weeds and dense foliage like a hot knife through the butter.
- The machine has a 150cc 4-cycle Viper engine that is definitely powerful but surprisingly quiet while running. The EARTHQUAKE 28463 M205 trimmer cuts down any overgrown shrubbery that a mower cannot.
- The large 14-inch wheels are capable of performing the most difficult mowing jobs in all kinds of terrains.
- In case of durability, this trimmer is one of the best undoubtedly. This is equipped with a steel deck that gives the strength and stability needs to reduce vibration.
- You can get your job done promptly by using this trimmer with its 22’’ cutting swath.
- This trimmer is designed with a “NEVER KILL’’ unique engine configuration that makes it different from other walk-behind string trimmers. With this configuration, the cutting head can be disengaged to remove branches, sticks, or other obstacles from the cutting path, and it can be reengaged without restarting the machine. Thus saves valuable time.
- To store it after usage, you can fold down the tool-less handlebar with adjustable knobs.
- Easy transportation is another convenient feature of this trimmer. Its never-go-flat wheels keep it ready to go anytime.
- Another convenient feature is easy to set up with almost zero assembling. You simply need to unfold the handlebar and tighten the knobs. Moreover, you will be provided with starter strings and engine oil with the trimmer in the box.
- The EARTHQUAKE 28463 M205 trimmer is backed with 5 years warranty and 24/7 customer service; this distinguishes Earthquake from other manufacturers in the market.
Features we like:
- This trimmer saves time by its ‘’NEVER KILL’’ engine configuration.
- 5 years warranty.
- Incredibly durable and strong.
- Easy to start the machine and almost zero assembling.
Features we don’t like:
- It is quite expensive.
- Short width of the handlebar though it is designed for compact storage and easy shipping.
2. BLACK+DECKER 3-in-1 Lawn Mower, String Trimmer, and Edger, 12-Inch (MTC220)
If your yard size is less than 1200 square feet and you want three functionalities from one compact tool at an affordable price, then BLACK+DECKER 3-in-1 MTC220 is perfect for you. It is battery-powered and exclusively designed for small lawns and is not suitable for rough terrain with overgrown shrubbery and vegetation. It is not as powerful as the gas-powered ones. The 3-in-1 feature has made it the most versatile trimmer.
- This string trimmer is battery-powered and gets power from 2 AH, 3 AH, or a 4 AH battery, and you can purchase these batteries with the trimmer at a discounted price.
- Without extra batteries, you can buy safety glasses, gloves, loopers, and pruners.
- It is one of the most versatile tools available in the market that is easily switched from a lawnmower to string trimmer to edger.
- An automatic feed system (AFS) will allow you to work continuously without bumping and stopping tendency even during handling obstacles on their way.
- The power drive transmission system helps avoid bogging down issues. Cutting height can be changed from 1.6 to 2.4 inches and back. So you can get finished grass of different heights.
- The machine features a pivoting handle, and you will get a trimmer and an adjustable height desk.
- For more power, the power drive transmission system can increase torque at the string.
- 2.5 hours is enough for the batteries to be charged 60%. If you want fully charged batteries, then you need to give 4 hours.
- It is perfect for a small lawn area, no matter if there are small inclines. It can also work on hard-to-reach spots easily.
- Cutting swath dia is 12,’’ and it does not frequently break as other trimmers.
- This trimmer is suitable for homes where storage space is limited because of its small size.
- The warranty period is 2 years for this trimmer.
Features we like
- For 100% charge, the battery needs only 4 hours.
- Machine height and the cutting height are adjustable.
- Low price but good performance.
- It doesn’t generate any toxic elements.
- It has versatile usefulness.
- Very lightweight (14.4 lbs. only) and easy to store.
Features we don’t like
- Not suitable for large lawn and dense weeds.
- Replacing the string is sometimes difficult.
3. McLane 101-5.5GT-7Gas Powered Lawn Edger
Since 1946 McLane is producing gardening equipment and has gained popularity because of its high-quality products. McLane 101-5.5GT is a premium quality trimmer. It can also be used as an edger. It is made in the USA. Very few machines are available in the market like this trimmer.
- Very few trimmers in the market are as versatile as the McLane 101-5. The blades being on the left side of the machine. It works as a powerful trimmer and an edger too. To turn the trimmer into an edger, you need to adjust the depth control with the same lever blade clutch for precise cutting of the grass.
- It has 4 ball-bearing wheels with rubber tires.
- The machine is designed so that it can ride on curbs and still give precision cutting. The cutter head uses a ball bearing on a 2’’x9’’ steel spring blade. However, you don’t need to be worried as the ball bearing is sealed there tightly.
- This machine can work smoothly vertically or horizontally because the blades can be tiled to any angle you want. While trimming horizontally, you can do it at any height.
- Like other McLane machines, the steel frame and wheels are sturdy.
- This premium machine meets all safety standards.
- It is backed up with 2 years warranty.
Features we like
- It is a mighty machine.
- Blade height can be adjusted easily.
- Precise cutting is possible both vertically and horizontally.
- It can be used as both an edger and trimmer.
- It has a sturdy chassis.
Features we don’t like
- It is costly.
- Spark plug needs to be checked frequently to avoid accidents.
4. Southland SOWST4317 Wheeled String Trimmer
Southland prepares a wide variety of gardening products that are perfect for maintaining a beautiful lawn and can meet all kinds of landscape challenges. And their unrivaled products are within your budget. The Southland SOWST4317 wheeled string trimmer is one of their premium quality yet budget-friendly products. Its output power is excellent, and it is a cut above the rest in this price range. It can do versatile tasks because of its small size and 0.105’’ trimmer string.
- The Southland SOWST4317 is a powerful wheeled trimmer in its budget. It can generate 35% more torque compared to a 25cc handheld string trimmer. Even though its efficiency is not parallel to other high-end trimmers available in the market, it is good enough for a small lawn.
- You can use both .105’’ and .095’’ string trimmer in this machine.
- The trimming height is 1.5 inches.
- It has 10 inches ‘’Never-go-flat’’ rubber wheels and can work in yards having rocks or branches lying around. But this is not designed with the ‘’Never kill’’ engine configuration, so the engine can stop if it cannot handle the obstacles it finds in its way.
- The trimmer is equipped with an ergonomic handlebar that is easy to hold and resists vibrations. There is a throttle control on the handlebar that is loaded with spring.
- The trimmer is equipped with a 17-inch cutting swath.
- The machine’s right trimmer head is off-set at 5°, which gives a 4-inch cut along trim lines, landscape barriers, fences, and walls.
- The handlebar can be folded down for storage purposes and easy transportation. It doesn’t require much space to store.
- A 43cc 2-stroke engine powers this wheel trimmer. Its rotation speed is 7000 to 85000 RPMs. The ratio of gasoline and oil is 50:1 here. For running the machine, you need unleaded 87+ octane. The oil tank capacity is 28 oz maximum.
- It has 2 years of warranty like most other products of Southland.
Features we like
- This trimmer can trim and mow at any angle on slopes.
- Though it is affordable, it gives excellent service in smaller lawns where the shrubbery and weeds are not overgrown.
- Its assembling is very easy.
- Its compact design makes it comfortable for storage and transportation.
- It is popular for its versatility and maneuverability.
Features we don’t like
- Oil tank capacity is low.
5. Earthquake 23275 Walk-Behind Landscape and Lawn Edger with 79cc 4-Cycle Engine
Earthquake 23275 Walk-Behind Landscape and Lawn Edger have been designed uniquely with a multi-angle cutting head. A 79cc strong viper engine powers it. The machine features a flexible depth control system also. What makes the machine unique is a handy tool and drinks holder on the handlebar. Moreover, there is a debris guard to keep you safe from flying garbage.
- The machine is featured with a powerful 79cc Viper engine that is very efficient and exclusive. This engine spins the spring steel blade of 9’’ at 3400 RPM, thus provides the necessary speed and power to complete the edging task around your home area or other places.
- You can do simple trenching jobs with this edger, such as underground cable installation and electric fence installation.
- This edger is equipped with a multi-position cutting head that offers 5 cutting angles. You can use this edger around yards, driveways, or property lines by selecting the necessary angle between 70 to 110 degree to handle any type of weeds or grass that need to edge. Therefore, you can achieve beautiful borders around your lawn or yard. Cutting angles can be changed by sliding the single-hand operated lever on the adjustment plate into the exact notch.
- With the combination of 4 wheeled design and a multi-angled cutting feature, you can bring a professional look around your lawn or driveway, no matter if grasses are overgrown. To handle standard grass, a 90-degree cutting angle is okay. You can set the cutting angle from 70 to 110 degrees to have a fine look in dealing with creeping vegetation or grasses.
- Using the adjustment lever, you can choose 5 different depth settings from 0.5 inches to 2.5 inches.
- The durable chain debris guard will protect you from flying debris while running the machine. There is a tool holder on the handlebar to keep small hand tools so that you can use them when necessary.
- Like most other Earthquake products, this edger is also backed up with 5 years warranty and US-based service.
Features we like
- It is a powerful machine with versatile usefulness.
- It is equipped with a debris guard and tool holder.
- The edger is affordable compared to its multi-task.
- A flexible cutting angle and depth setting has made it user-friendly.
- 5 years warranty period.
Features we don’t like
- Its assembling is difficult.
- The user manual is not much helpful.
6. PowerSmart Lawn Mower, 21-inch & 170CC, Gas Powered Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
The PowerSmart walk-behind lawnmower works more as a lawnmower than a string trimmer. It has more useful features for better value than the competitors. It houses a 170cc engine and 21-inch steel deck that makes it mighty and useful gardening equipment. This machine is suitable for lawns with tall and tough weeds and grass. The engine is one of the strongest ones available in the market, but its price is reasonable. This machine is available in 2 in 1 option, covering mulching and side discharge, and 3 in 1 option, covering mulching, side discharge, and bagging. The labor-saving design and large bag enhance working efficiency.
- This PowerSmart lawnmower is powered 170cc OHV 4-stroke, single-cylinder engine. This gas engine provides enough power for cutting down the toughest and tallest weeds and grass.
- The machine features a forced-air cooling system. So the engine doesn’t become over-heated and can run for a long time.
- You can handle bigger jobs easily as the mower is equipped with a large 21-inch mowing deck made of steel.
- This machine also features an adjustable cutting depth facility that can cut objects from 5 different heights. The cutting depth ranges from 1.18’’ to 3’’. The cutting width is fixed that is 21’’. These make the mower suitable for large lawns.
- The capacity of the grass catcher is 1.4 bushels.
- The mower has mulching and side discharge capability. So it spreads clipped grasses to the side. Thus the lawn gets nutrients and can grow healthy grasses.
- This self-propelled gas lawnmower has 2 back wheels of 8’’ each, enabling it to move easily. It is also designed with an 18-gallon large bag to collects debris.
- The trimmer has a foldable handlebar. So you can fold it down easily and store it in a small space.
- Its fuel tank capacity is 21 gallons which is suitable for a large lawn.
- Like all other products of PowerSmart, this self-propelled lawnmower is backed up with 3 years warranty with premium service.
Features we like
- Powerful and efficient engine.
- A small space is enough for storage.
- Forced air cooling system and adjustable cutting depth system.
- Mulching and side discharge mechanism.
- Three years warranty
- The machine is affordable.
Features we don’t like
- Some parts of this machine are made of cheap plastics.
- The belt that drives does not stay on long.
7. Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SWFT15022 150cc Field Trimmer
Southland SWFT15022 is one of the best choices for homeowners having large lawns designed for heavy-duty commercial use. This walk-behind string trimmer has a 150cc 4-stroke engine that can create 5.75 lb./ft. torque, thus complete any job required. It has an anti-vibration foam grip handle and a large 22-inch cutting swath.
- This walk-behind string trimmer is powered by a 150cc OHV 5.75 feet/lbs of torque engine and can perform any job thrown at it.
- It has a manual recoil easy start fuel delivery system that enables the engine to start and stop faster and easier.
- It has 2 large back wheels of 12-inch each, which give you increased maneuverability through rugged terrain.
- With the 22-inch cutting swatch, this walk-behind trimmer can reach all the heavily overgrown places in your lawn and any other places that cannot be reached by a lawnmower or string trimmer.
- It is equipped with an anti-vibration foam grip handle which causes maximum comfort to the user.
- There is an air filter that removes debris and contaminants from the intake air.
- There is a recoil starter cover with holes on it that allows air intake for the cooling system.
- The spark plug gives the spark to ignite the air/fuel mixture.
- There is a trimmer guard that protects you from thrown debris while running the machine. And trimmer line is automatically cut by the mounted blade on the trimmer guard to correct length when the line is too long.
- This trimmer is EPA and CARB certified.
Features we like:
- This walk-behind trimmer has a powerful engine, and it is easy to assemble and use.
- After usage, compact storage is possible for folding anti-vibration handle.
- It has 2 years warranty.
- A detailed user manual with all necessary information.
Features we don’t like:
- It is a little expensive.
- Cutting height cannot be adjusted.
- Trimmer line quality is average.
8. Remington RM1159 159cc 4-Cycle Gas Powered Walk-Behind High-Wheeled String Trimmer
Remington RM1159, a user-friendly walk behind string trimmer, makes the bigger jobs seem smaller by cutting the toughest, tallest weeds, grass, and brush. This trimmer with the strongest engine of 159cc destroys everything easily that comes in its path without having any mercy. Its compact size, 0.155’’ trimmer line, and 22-inch cutting swath allow you to enter all the difficult-to-reach areas and clear any kind of grass or shrubbery you have in your lawn.
- Remington RM1159 trimmer has a powerful 159cc OHV 4 cycle gas engine that enables it to clear the most overgrown yard ever.
- There is a standard trimmer line of 0.155’’ dia.
- Unique shaped 22’’ cutting swath makes trimming easier around fences and intricately shaped spots that are not easy-to-reach.
- This trimmer is equipped with a comfortable folding handle that makes storage and transportation easier and reduces vibration.
- It has 14’’ ball bearing rear wheels those help to work smoothly on uneven terrain and overgrow bushes.
- Besides being compact and having ball-bearing wheels, this trimmer features a full steel offset deck that helps trim hard-to-reach places and withstand uneven terrain.
- It has a control lever which is mostly a safety device, and you should keep it on while running the machine to avoid any injuries.
- You can turn on the machine easily and quickly with the starter rope.
- You can raise or lower adjustable cutting height as you need.
- It is backed with 2 years warranty.
Features we like
- This is one of the safest walk-behind string trimmers available in the market.
- A handy user manual is provided with the trimmer, and set up is very easy.
- A Trimmer deflector saves your eyes from grass or small rocks.
- It can work in medium to large yards at ease.
Features we do not like
- The Gas tank is small, so it cannot support it for a longer time.
- Trimming slopes of more than 15 degrees is not possible.
9. TAZZ 35258 Walk-Behind String Trimmer, 150cc
TAZZ 35258 walk behind string trimmer is for you; if you want to make a single-time investment in a trimmer and expect to use this for the rest of your gardening life. Like other competitive units, it is equipped with a 150cc engine, 14’’ never-go-flat wheels, and 22’’ cutting swath with some unique features which enable it to give you the best trimming experience. It is of premium quality and a powerful trimmer at a comparatively reasonable price.
- TAZZ 35258 features a 150cc viper engine powerful enough to cut shrubbery, thick grass, and tough weeds easily. This can also clean up hard-to-reach edges of lawns that are not possible with a regular mower.
- You can easily start the machine by simply turning on the recoil starter. This trimmer clears the most stubborn brush and toughest weeds without carrying the equipment on your back.
- This machine is provided with durability and strength by a heavy-duty single-piece steel deck and thus reduces vibration.
- Heavy-duty trimmer line of .155’’ dia and 22’’ cutting swath make the trimming done promptly.
- Large back wheels of 14’’ diameter make it handle uneven lands of overgrown shrubbery and grass. Obstacles or rocks cannot create any problem while running the machine.
- You can fold down the handlebar and store it in the garage after usage.
- Like other premium quality trimmers, it is designed with a ‘’Never kill’’ engine configuration that keeps the engine on while disengage the trimmer head to remove branches, sticks, or debris on its way. So no need to restart the engine after re-engaging the trimmer head. Thus saves time.
- Its fuel tank capacity is more than others, so you can trim for longer, no matter if your lawn is larger.
- It has 3 years warranty.
Features we like
- ‘’Never kill’’ engine configuration saves time.
- Heavy-duty steel deck and trimmer line.
- High durability and 3 years warranty.
Features we do not like
- The plastic-built handle lock can break easily.
10. SuperHandy String Trimmer Walk Behind 21″ Inch Line Cutting Diameter
If you search for an affordable and eco-friendly walk-behind string trimmer, then the Super-handy string trimmer is for you. It has a premier 149cc OHV engine that can cut tough weeds, vegetation, and grass. Moreover, it features a superb deck that decreases vibration and damage. The trimmer is also convenient to move and store.
- Though this walk-behind trimmer is reasonable in price, it offers almost all the specifications of an ideal trimmer, such as a strong 149cc 4 stroke OHV gas engine. It generates max 5kW output power with max 3600RPMs rotation speed. A trimmer line of 19.7’’ makes the lawn/yard care easy.
- This trimmer is designed as a single off-set frame. This off-set design helps upright trimming against fence lines and bush foundations. Moreover, it can work on narrow spaces for compact design and decreases vibration greatly.
- Reducing vibration transfer, off-set design helps to decrease your fatigue and increase comfort.
- The machine is equipped with adjustment knobs on the tool-less handlebar, which control the cutting height. The handlebar can be folded down for transportation and storage in a small space.
- The engine is designed in such a way that it confirms your safety when you operate it. But it is advisable to read the user manual carefully before running the trimmer and wear ANSI standard eye and hand protective equipment.
- To run the machine needs unleaded 87+ octane gasoline. It has a maximum 0.7-gallon oil capacity. This oil is not included in the purchase, and you need to add it after unboxing the trimmer.
- This walk-behind trimmer is EPA certified and CARB compliant, which makes this trimmer more attractive.
- For safety purposes, a low oil sensor shuts down the machine when oil reaches a too low level.
- For your safety and to protect the machine against weather, the machine is coated with rust-resistant powder.
Features we like:
- This trimmer is strong and easy to use.
- A comparatively lower price with versatile working spots like gardening, landscaping, forestry, etc.
- As the machine is coated with rust-resistant powder, it can be used in rough weather too.
- Easy to store and transport.
- Low oil sensor for safety.
- Compact size enables it to work precisely.
Features we don’t like:
- It does a great job on smaller weeds compared to large weeds.
- It creates noise during operation.
Related: Do you really need an edger?
What should I look for when buying a walk-behind string trimmer?
Selecting the best walk-behind string trimmer is not an easy task indeed. Moreover, it is tough to choose one among a regular lawnmower, a string trimmer, and a walk-behind string trimmer. So if you have decided to buy a trimmer, let’s find out the factors you should take into consideration before deciding which model best suits you.
Undoubtedly the most important part of a walk-behind string trimmer is its engine. Most of the available wheeled trimmers are featured with 4 stroke gas engine, which is strong enough to work on your garden or lawn where the weeds and grass are overgrown.
As these machines are mostly gas-powered, you don’t need to be worried about the proper ratio of gas and oil mixture. To ensure the trimmer’s proper functioning, you need to apply the right type of oil or lubricant. Regular and proper maintenance is also required to run the machine smoothly. Each walk-behind string trimmer is equipped with a string or starter rope that starts the engines promptly compared to regular lawn mowers available in the market.
The common trimmers are electric, but the gas-powered ones are more powerful. Electric trimmers are more convenient as they can be started easily, produce less vibration and noise, and be maintained easily compared to gas trimmers. Moreover, you don’t remain concerned about buying fuels. Electric trimmers are environment friendly as well as toxic emissions are not produced by them.
There are two types of electric trimmers, one is corded, and another is cordless. Corded trimmers are run by electricity, and cordless are battery-powered. This is also another point to be taken into consideration while choosing a trimmer.
The advantages of gas-powered walk-behind trimmers are, they are stronger and heavier than electric ones. For heavily overgrown large areas, gas-powered trimmers are best, and there is no alternative to it. But they are expensive to run, produce toxic emissions, and need regular maintenance.
Usually, the trimmer wheels are made of hardened plastic and are of the ‘’Never-go-flat’’ type. The larger the wheels, the easier it is to push through the rugged terrain with overgrown shrubbery or grass. So, you will select the wheel size depending on your terrain type. In the case of plain terrain, a large wheel is not that important. Nevertheless, wheels of 16’’ or more dia are preferable for even or uneven lands.
There is a string system in the walk-behind string trimmer to cut the weeds and grass. The main difference between a regular mower and a walk-behind trimmer is the cutting width which is significantly high in a walk-behind trimmer that is 22’’ for most wheeled trimmers. This feature makes these trimmers perfect for wide lawns reducing trimming time.
Some trimmers use up to 4 strings for cutting accurately with more efficiency. Moreover, when strings are used as the cutting tool, that means the cutting height is adjustable as per your need. Therefore these trimmers are suitable for any kind of terrain.
Since these trimmers are used to handle tough bushes, the trimmer lines that do all the cutting deteriorate quite often. So it is wise to purchase some extra lines with the trimmer. This is not the machine’s fault but a matter of maintenance.
It’s not easy for all the models to replace the broken lines. Therefore, this should be considered when you finalize a model to buy. But the best part is that these lines are available in the market in different dia, lengths, and shapes as per your need.
All walk-behind string trimmer is equipped with a rectangular adjustable handle towards the operator used to maneuver the machine. A typical gas trimmer produces a lot of vibration while running. A quality handle grip can prevent it. So you should select e trimmer that has an anti-vibration mechanism to reduce vibration and can remove the strain on your hands, joints, and shoulders.
You should focus on trimmers that have a rubber or handle foam to get a better grip.
Trimming Space Features
The 1st thing that should be considered before selecting a wheeled trimmer model is the type of land you own. Based on the land size, terrain type, and density of the weeds, grass, shrubbery, and debris on that particular land, you have to buy the trimmer. These are the determining factors of the machine height, cutting width, and cutting height. You should try to invest in a model that best suits your height, or the machine is featured with adjustable height.
You will need a space to store your trimmer as the rust-resistant powder coating doesn’t make them fully weatherproof. Before placing an order, you need to check the dimension of the trimmer. Most of the walk-behind trimmers have adjustable folding handles that ensure easy storage.
Before using machines with a gas-fueled engine, you must consider the rules and regulations of the residential area you live in. There must be a noise tolerable range which you have to follow. The same goes with the emission of toxic elements that are inevitable with gas-powered equipment.
If you are fully concerned about pollution, you should go for an electric trimmer as it is not detrimental to the environment. But you have to compromise with performance and trimming time.
In short, firstly, you check the noise and emission rules, then check if the model you selected meets the rules.
Price and Warranty
The walk-behind trimmer is costly gardening equipment, so the price is an important factor if you want to buy one. You can buy a good performance trimmer like Remington RM1159 with 300 to 400 bucks or the one with premium quality like EARTHQUAKE 28463 M205 with 700 to 800 bucks. On the other hand, you have to sacrifice performance and trimming time if your budget is below 200 bucks.
However, we can see, no walk-behind string trimmer is cheaper. So you deserve a long warranty period. Earthquake provides a longer warranty of 5 years, whereas Southland and Remington provide 2 years warranty on average.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is better between a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke engine?
It depends on your preference. If you prefer a light-weight, low vibration, and low maintenance engine option, then go for 2-stroke engines. But if you want a powerful engine and are concerned about the environment, then go for the 4-stroke option. 2-stroke engines have a much simpler design than 4 stroke ones and, therefore, easy to fix. 4-stroke engines are expensive as they have more parts. Their repair cost is also high.
Many of you want to know that which walk-behind string trimmer is better, the one having 2 stroke engine or another one having a 4-stroke engine. Most of the powerful trimmers have a 4-stroke engine. So if you can afford it, you should buy one having a 4-stroke engine. Moreover, most of them are CARB certified so that you can use your trimmer in all states.
Which wheel size is best for a walk-behind trimmer?
It depends on the size of your lawn you want to clean. The larger your lawn is, the larger wheeled trimmer you need. Because trimmer with large wheels can clean your lawn more quickly. Thus saves your time.
What features should I consider before buying a walk-behind string trimmer?
The essential features are:
Wheels: Better quality walk-behind trimmers have rugged wheels of at least 10 inches. For large lawn needs trimmers with large wheels to save time.
Adjustable and foldable handlebar: This is a must-have criterion. Adjustable folding handlebar enables easy transportation and storage. And if you adjust the size of the handlebar to your height, it will prevent lower back pain.
Adjustable cutting height: Using trimmers having this feature, you can get finished grasses in different heights. Thus the beauty of your lawn is enhanced.
Anti-vibration system: All-powerful gas engines generate vibration no matter how expensive they are. To reduce fatigue and get a better user experience, you should invest in a trimmer having an anti-vibration feature.
Can you insert a blade in a walk-behind trimmer?
Yes, you can insert a blade in a walk-behind string trimmer, but before that, you need to confirm if it is compatible with the trimmer head of the tool. It would be better to fit it directly to avoid any types of risk while operating the trimmer. It is recommended to check model no while buying the blade.
Are walk-behind trimmers noisy?
In most cases, the engine type determines if that particular tool or machine will be noisy or not. As most walk-behind trimmers are featured with 4-stroke gas-powered engines, they can be a little noisy.
Which is better between a walk-behind string trimmer and a push mower?
Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
You will think to buy a walk-behind string trimmer if you are an owner of a large lawn having overgrown shrubbery and bushes. It will offer you a wide range of string sizes to clean your lawn. But walk-behind trimmers tend to be expensive, and the strings need to be replaced frequently as they break.
On the other hand, push mowers are comparatively cheaper, but they are suitable for small yards. You have to sharpen the blades of the push mowers once in a while.
Who makes the best walk-behind string trimmer?
This trimmer is gaining popularity day by day because of its outstanding performance and multiple uses. Homeowners and professionals are using this to save time and its easy storage and transportation facility. Lots of renowned brands are producing walk-behind string trimmers with powerful engines and updated features. The most popular brands are Remington, Earthquake, southland for this trimmer.
Are walk-behind string trimmers worth it?
Yes. If you own a big lawn and you can afford this machine, then you should have one. Though these machines are expensive, they clean the overgrown bushes, cut down grasses, weeds, and other vegetation at different heights, thus keep your lawn healthy and beautiful. They are powerful, durable, and sometimes affordable.
Choosing the best walk behind string trimmer is a challenging task if you are unaware of the features. After reading this article, you should have enough knowledge by now. While almost all of these products are of premium quality, I think the best choice is EarthQuake 28463 as it has the most powerful engine and 5 years warranty period.
But if you cannot afford it and want more comfort and maneuverability with a comparatively lower price, then go for Southland SWFT15022. I hope you have enjoyed this article. Thank you.